As an entrepreneur and small business owner, you may have heard the term Business Strategist at some point before…but, what is a business strategist, what do they do, and can they help you?
According to Wikipedia; A strategist is a person with responsibility for the formulation and implementation of a strategy. Strategy generally involves setting goals, determining actions to achieve the goals, and mobilizing resources to execute the actions. A strategy describes how the ends (goals) will be achieved by the means (resources).
A strategist is someone who helps you define your goals, create an action plan, and help you execute the plan. Sound helpful?
- Keep You Focused – Entrepreneurs and small business owners tend to wear many hats. At any given time, you may be sales, marketing, admin, tech support, and customer service, to name a few. It is important to stay focused on one task at a time. A business strategist will make sure you are being proactive and not reactive, helping your days run smoother with clear, strategically prioritized activities.
- Brainstorm Ideas – Stop and count how many ideas you have swirling around in your mind as you are reading this. New ideas are coming to you (typically at 3 am or in the shower, right?) and you might not know which ones are worth pursuing and which ones should be put on hold (for now!). Your business strategist will help you sort through your ideas, test them, and provide feedback on what the next step should (or should not) be.
- Create a Plan – You have written all your ideas on paper, decided which ones are worth acting on, and now it’s time to create a plan! Whatever goal you are trying to achieve, having a strategic partner in place can help you devise and implement your plan. You need a step-by-step system, that is easy to follow and understand. Your business strategist will break down your goals into easy to manage steps, then define how each objective will be met.
- Guide You on Your Actions – You have heard the saying “Don’t put the cart before the horse”, right? Well, that holds true in business too! You don’t want to get ahead of yourself and be working on an action step that is not moving you forward. Working on the wrong things is not only counter-productive, but it could cost you valuable time and money. Under the guidance of your business strategist, you will be focused and intentional about each step taken, because it will all be mapped out with clear expectations.
- Hold You Accountable – Staying accountable to yourself and your goals is crucial. When you are being held accountable to plans, actions and goals, you are more likely to reach and exceed your own expectations. It can be so easy for entrepreneurs to get sidetracked and start “putting out fires”. At the end of the week, they haven’t gotten anything accomplished that they had set out to do. One way to avoid this is to hire a business strategist who will hold you accountable to weekly action steps, and follow up to be sure they were finished.
Deciding to work with a business strategist is a big decision. It is a major investment of time and money to yourself and your business. When you start to look for a business strategist, do your homework. Find someone who you can relate to and feel comfortable talking to regularly. Every strategist has a different approach, and they all have their own zone of genius. It’s important to be clear on what you are looking for, so you can find someone who is a perfect fit.
A few things you may want to look for in a strategist are:
- Great Communication Skills
- Critical Thinker
As you can see, Business Strategists are incredibly useful and worthwhile tools for entrepreneurs and business owners. It all boils down to this; two minds are better than one. When you have someone helping you set and achieve goals, prioritize responsibilities and focus points, and holding you accountable to those goals, you are more likely to succeed.
Tell me in the comments: Do you think a strategist would help you with your goals and business?