Living in Florida, two of the most popular questions asked are:
- Where are you from?
- What made you decide to move to Florida?
My short answer is always Upstate NY and the blue sky (especially since we lived in a location often named in the top gloomiest cities). However, there is a much bigger reason to WHY we moved to Florida.
Six years ago, we lost our very dear friend after a short five-month battle with Lymphoma at the young age of 29. After he passed, I couldn’t help but ask myself WHY, over and over, we had lost someone so young and as amazing as he was. What was God trying to teach us by taking another “good one” from us so early?
I try to find the lesson in everything, the good and the bad and apply the lesson to my life moving forward. My husband and I ultimately came to the realization that there was a very important lesson to be learned from his passing and that lesson is; Life is meant to be LOVED.
You see, there wasn’t a single aspect of Marty’s life that he didn’t love.
- He had the career of his dreams and was one of the most well-liked and well-respected teachers in the school he taught at.
- He had friends from all stages of his life and could make new friends anywhere he went.
- He and his partner were madly in love, and they had a beautiful home that they were constantly improving to make it perfect.
- He had a smile that was infectious and was a shining example of what it was like to LOVE every single aspect of life.
My husband and I could not say the same. We had great careers, amazing family, and friends but hated being in a climate that was cold, dreary and grey majority of the year. We thrived in the sunshine and blue sky – it was like two totally different people emerged when the sun was shining. That is when we decided to move to Florida.
We made a promise that we were going to LOVE every aspect of our lives and we were going to “live” retirement because life is not promised and retirement is not a guarantee.
We have now been in Florida for almost 4 years and we LOVE every aspect of our lives. My career and passion for life have combined and my business model centers around helping others create a lifestyle that they love while having a business and career alongside it. We spend most Friday nights out with friends and we spend our Sundays at the beach with as many people as possible. There are days we miss NY and our family and friends so badly, but we are only a phone call, video chat or plane ride away. We made this decision and we did it with no regrets and with faith knowing everything would work out exactly as it should
I share this story with you for many reasons but most importantly to encourage you to take a moment to do the following:
- Be grateful for your life, your health and the people most important to you
- To take a look at the areas of your life that you aren’t totally in love with and think about what you can do to change them
- To understand the importance and value of living your best life NOW and to not wait for it.
- To seek out the lessons, even when you feel like life is handing you every curveball possible
We were not put on this earth to solely work. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. Find your passion, find what lights up your life and act on it, every single day.
If I can ever be of help to you, to help you LOVE your life, the pleasure would be mine.
Thank you for teaching me one of life’s greatest lessons.